Thursday, January 11, 2018

Frankenstein ~ Reading Response

Heehoo.

I'm writing about Frankenstein, because this is honestly the first time I've ever read this book! I'd heard about Frankenstein for many years, and seen the various iterations that have been in media for many, many years. So, when reading this, I had a general gist of what the story was going to be about!

WRONG!! I only really knew the fact of Frankenstein creating the monster, but everything else I had assumed about the book and story was completely wrong! One of the first things being of course the fact there wasn't a flaming, pick-wielding angry mob that lights a weird stone lighthouse on fire in order to kill the monster at the end.

So, going into the gothic elements..

I would say one of the gothic elements is the damsel, or oppressed female character, which is Elizabeth, and even Justine to some extent. Elizabeth and Justine are both prone to being overtaken by their emotions, and swooning/fainting in response to things like the sight of the Monster. It's overdone and expected, but that's what it is.

Also, the moral dilemma with Frankenstein and refusing the monster, is in a way 'saving' the world without the expectation of a reward, though it's a little strange with Frankenstein's reasoning for it.

Overall, I had such a good experience reading this novel for the first time, and I really really enjoyed it. I felt really bad for the monster, and sort of wished he wasn't as evil as the circumstances made him be.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cam, I like the gothic elements that you pointed out. It is true that Elizabeth and Justine are both prone to being overtaken by their emotions. Damsel is one of the most obvious gothic elements in Frankenstein. I also caught that immediately when I was reading the book.

    About the moral dilemma, you talked that refusing the monster is in a way of Frankenstein to save the world. I like that thought, but if you can give more specific details or deeper analysis, that would be better. :)

    ReplyDelete