Thursday, January 18, 2018

Interview With the Vampire ~ Reading Response

An interesting read, for sure. I hadn't previously read or seen anything really for this title or what it enclosed, other than the vague memory of Tom Cruise playing some blonde vampire in some random movie that I wasn't too interested in seeing. I think I had also confused it with another vampire movie, that was incredibly funny and involved 'The Office' style of filming and content.

While reading this book, I had a weird sense of joy in seeing vampires act a little more abnormal than the typical faire of vampires, and the ability to poison them with absinthe was especially interesting to me, given the properties of absinthe on just regular people as well. The different moral politics between Louis and Lestat were also very interesting, as Lestat mostly just read to me as sort of a brat given immortality, but at least he was having fun with it. Louis was considerably more whiny to me, but I suppose he had good reason.

The development of Claudia as she got 'older' was also very interesting, and it was a little terrifying the way she would attack and kill people, and the way she handled Lestat was especially scary for what was essentially a little girl. Towards the end of her life span, I actually got Baby Doll (the batman villain) vibes from her. It was slightly sad to see her killed in such a grisly manner, especially with Madeline near her. Also, reading all of the ways Louis sort of seperate himself from everyone he could be close to due to his griefs with the death of Claudia, was really interesting. Especially since at the end of his story, he seemed to think himself a pariah of being a vampire; some sort of miserable existence that can only be unhappy.

Either way, the weird 'family discourse' sort of vibe that the book gave was really fun, and I was happy to read this! Definitely a really good read, and I might give the actual movie a watch too, though I can't imagine it's as interesting as the book was.

No comments:

Post a Comment