Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Literary Speculation ~ Response (The Distance of The Moon)

This week I read The Distance of The Moon by Italo Calvino. When it comes to trying to distinguish the genre of this story, it's very difficult. The first time I read through it, I figured it was mostly an exaggerated, somewhat realistic story, but as I read more, it quickly moved into full fantasy, to even being sci-fi in some spots, and then turning into a romantic tragedy at the end. I think this story in particular really gets the blurred genres down very, very well.

When it comes to the question if having a distinct difference between genres is important or not, I think it's relatively important, but shouldn't be a strict rule that applies to all writing. Sometimes stories are better when different genres are blurred together to make a mash of something cool and weird, so you get a nice new piece to experience. The experience of this text is affecting my answer, because I think this story wouldn't have been as good if it was just pure fantasy or pure sci-fi, or pure romance. Having a good blend between all of these helps it develop a more reasonable and appealing shell.

Overall, I would recommend this story to a friend, because nothing is more appealing than describing a fetid, fermented, garbage-ridden spoon full of moon cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment