Thursday, April 5, 2018

Assessment of: Bloodchild!

Here's the Questions!

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read? 

A very interesting story, to be honest. I wasn't really able to get a clear mind picture on what the main creatures, like T'Gatoi, were supposed to look like. Later on I sort of imagined them like centipedes, but I'm still not entirely sure that's what it was. It was also interesting the take on how this species reproduces, and how the Terrans even arrived in this place, as I believed the planet to be just an invaded Earth earlier on in the story. The process of making more of the species for T'Gatoi was also very interesting, even though the description of what was happening was pretty graphic and hectic. It was also interesting how much T'Gatoi and her species "cares" for their property-- the Tarrens-- and the lengths they go to to try and protect what are essentially their incubators.

2. What connections did you make with the story that you read? Discuss the elements of the work with which you were able to connect.

The connections that I made with this story is that it's similar to the "preserves" that Native Americans are often corralled into. The whole preserve is sort of referred to as a cage by two of the characters, Gan and Qui. The other connection is the fact that the Terrans are refugees from what I assume to have been Earth. It was interesting, the elements of the preserve and the refugee aspect. I can't really emotionally connect with any of these two things, however, because I'm neither a refugee or Native American. The only thing I can really connect to on a mental level is the butchering of the achti midway through the story.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium. What medium would you use? What changes would you make? 

I think the best medium I could do for a story like this would be a graphic novel. The changes I would make to this story is something to nail down how the Tlic look, and more backstory on the conflict between the Tlic and the Terrans when they first interacted with one another, as well as backstory on whatever conflict happened in the first place to cause the Terran to flee their original homeworld, which I'm still assuming was Earth. Other than that, I don't feel like the story needs much more changing or adjustments, especially when moving to a graphic novel format.
The medium would be ink pen and paper, with very washed out colors but bold, thick, black lines. Something along the lines of Mike Mignola would be the artistic effect I would want for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment