Thursday, March 29, 2018

Cyberpunk/SteamPunk Response

For this week I read Fragments of a Hologram Rose; A short story. The reality that was supposed in this short story is one that has ARS machines, that can help with multiple things such as sleep issues, holograms, and the ability to destroy the holograms because somehow they're 'real' and tangible.

One of the interesting things about the ARS machines is the implied super futuristic use for them but also being incredibly 'dated' in what is used in them; the main character talks about 'cassettes' which I assume is cassette tapes that are used in these machines and for looking at events and objects.

Admittedly, even though I read this story two times very carefully, I found it incredibly difficult to retain or even really understand what was happening in the story. The most I could understand is that the main character had issues sleeping because of him being dumped by his ex-girlfriend during what I assume was the collapse of the modern world, due to the slum-like circumstances he explains himself to be in, and the constant power fluxes that are happening during the story. He uses the ARS machines to help himself sleep by what I assume is him remembering good things about his ex girlfriend.

Overall, an interesting story, but I had a lot of trouble trying to understand it-- I wouldn't likely recommend this one to another person, due to this hard to grasp narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment