Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Heroics Journeys

For this week, I read Jurgen: A Comedy of Justice. The book's title definitely caught my attention, and the content is definitely something that I'm into when it comes to the genre of fantasy that I really enjoy. The first part of the book, the preamble to the first chapter, was probably the best chunk of literature that I've ever read in my life. The way the tumblebug argues for what it views as obscene, lewd, etc, is something that I see ALL OVER the internet and media today, especially on certain blogging platforms. I also found out that this book apparently influenced Terry Pratchett, which is a plus.

This book sort of falls into the general types of 'heroic journey' that is in most, if not all, types of fantasy, but something that felt a little more different that most heroic journeys, was the main character not being something entirely helpless. He was a pawnbroker, and wasn't really in love with his wife, but he wasn't like a poor, dirt urchin that was scrounging for fortune and glory. He was just sort of a regular man, doing The Manly Thing, and got pulled into a huge adventure that may (or may not have..) actually happened. I also appreciated his talk that he had with Dorothy, and just how he's generally a very likable character that, surprisingly, is very relatable.

Unfortunately, I didn't read the Hobbit, because the over abundance of both The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit Movies in my life (my father LOVES these series), I didn't really have an interest in them. I will say though --

Image result for original animated smaug

This is the only good reason of Smaug.

No comments:

Post a Comment