Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Witches 'n' Stuff (slightly late)

So, for this week, I only really read the first couple of chapters for the Aunt Maria; I plan on reading the entire book later because of the responses in class saying that the book DOES get better, despite the really dull and drawn out beginning to the book. The first part of the book was just dull to me because it felt like every other 'coming of age' book aimed at young adults, but if the later parts of the book get interesting and start pulling in witchcraft and other fantasy elements, I'll be more attracted to finishing it!

Instead, I re-watched both Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle, with Kiki's being one of my favorite movies since I was a kid. It was interesting re-watching Kiki's, because I am also taking the Children's Literature class along side this one, and spotting all of the old tropes that are in old children's media and seeing it in movies like Kiki's or even Howl's Moving Castle was really fun. It was mentioned in class, but the red bow on Kiki was a big one, as well as her specific time of year and night to leave her home to essentially become a woman.

When it comes to the witches in Aunt Maria, based on the witches that I got to in the first chapters of the book, I would say the stern, 'police lady' witch probably stands out the most as the most non-stereotypical witch, but she does fall into archetype of 'powerful bitch' character-- which I don't personally think is a bad thing, but it definitely plays into how the main characters treat her and how she acts in the first few chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment