Thursday, February 1, 2018

"The New Weird" - Reading response stuff!

This is one of those subjects where I'm really interested in the 'weird' aspects of parts of horror! I'm a huge fan of horror that is also humorous, because I feel like the humor really helps balance out the horror-- I'm the same way when it comes to heavy fantasy elements editing horror. It's one of the few reasons I enjoy watching things like Cabin in the Woods, because of the humor that just happens naturally in the film.

For the reading, I read some of the short stories in Three Moments of an Explosion! My favorite being, Polynia. The main story mechanic being the mysterious icebergs that just appear over London and somewhat become the new 'norm' after a period of time is really interesting to me, because it adds some excitement to the aspects of normal life, just giant icebergs flying around that nobody really knows why they exist, but they're just part of life now.

The other short story that I enjoyed was the one about the mock 'trailer', because a dynamic between two different types of undead was really cool and interesting to think about; especially with the fight being between undead that choose to not evolve, and the ones who do 'evolve'. It's one of those things that I'd actually like as a real movie!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't read it, but I am super interested in reading Polynia now. I adore the kind of fiction where weird things happen to cities and the people that live there just treat it like normal. It reminds me of a game I played for this week- Sunless Seas- about what happens when London falls beneath the earth and humans adapt to their new perpetually dark environment and sunlight is seen as a scarce resource. I definitely recommend it, especially if you like the kind of story where the weird is seen as the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you! Sometimes horror does not have to be all about scares and gore all the time. Times change and so does a genre. A little humor never hurts anyone! Specially when talking about horror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way people deal with horror or anything tragic is with humor. Which is why things like Cabin in the Woods, or the fact that various movies are adding one liners making characters and the plot a little more believable. The mock trailer was one of my favorites too. I really thought it was both unique and a different read.

    ReplyDelete